The original Del Taco locations in Barstow, California are the only three locations where they serve the original Del Taco menu with all the amazingly delicious ingredients. This may not mean much if you didn’t grow up devouring the original Del Taco menu items but once you try the food you’ll find out why it’s simply the best! The Barstow Del Taco locations are a must stop on any road trip on the way to Las Vegas, Havasu, the river and beyond (and on return).
Did you know you can still order some discontinued original Del Taco menu items through the secret menu?
Why The Original Del Taco is the Best
- The Barstow Del Taco is from the original menu and features a crispier shell, juicier beef, fresh lettuce, loaded with cheddar cheese and the classic slice of tomato on top (the Del Taco version has diced tomatoes).
- Del Taco discontinued the Spicy Jack Quesadilla but you can still get an even better version at the Barstow locations.
- They have the original Bun Taco.
- The famous crinkle-cut fries are even better at the Barstow locations.
- You can get a Tostada.
- The ingredients are high quality including the cheddar cheese, chiles, refried beans, and red and green sauces.
- The chicken is grilled fresh.
- Every table has a basket of all the mild, medium, and hot sauces.
- The portioning of the food served is seriously generous.
- There interior is old school Del Taco with a lot of photos featuring Del Taco’s past.
- The staff is attentive, friendly, and courteous. You can feel that they appreciate their customers.
- The shakes are amazing and they have frosty cones, chocolate chip cookies, carrot and chocolate cake!
Del Taco history
Ed Hackbarth got his start by managing Bells Hamburgers, for Glen Bell, of Taco Bell fame. Hackbarth and David Jameson then opened the first Del Taco in 1964 in Yermo, so technically the Barstow locations are not the first Del Taco. Since the first closed and the First Ave location is the oldest remaining, it is referred by corporate as Del Taco #1.
In 1976, Hackbarth and Jameson sold 50 Del Taco stores and the exclusive rights to use and develop the Del Taco name throughout most of the U.S. Ed, however, retained the rights to the three Barstow Del Taco Stores and the ability to always serve the original menu.
In 1988, Del Taco and Naugles restaurants merged into one single chain of Mexican fast-food restaurants. Interestingly, Hackbarth mentored Dick Naugle, who went on to found the Naugles chain.
In 2022, Jack in the Box acquired Del Taco for $575m but did not acquire the Del Taco restaurants in Barstow. They continue to be a family-owned business still serving up the original menu.
Original Del Taco Menu
- Barstow Taco (The Original)
- Barstow Soft Taco
- Chicken Soft Taco
- Beer Battered Fish Taco
- Street Taco
- Bun Taco
- Del Beef Burrito
- Combo Burrito
- Spicy Grilled Chicken Burrito
- Classic Grilled Chicken Burrito
- Veggie Burrito
- Red or Green Burrito
- Carnitas Combo Burrito
- Cheddar or Spicy Jack Quesadilla
- Chicken Cheddar or Spicy Jack Quesadilla
- Barstow Taco Salad (Chicken or Beef)
- Macho Nachos (Beef, Chicken or Steak)
- Bean & Cheese Cup
- Bacon Double Del Cheeseburger
- Double Del Cheeseburger
- Del Cheeseburger
- Famous Crinkle-Cut Fries
- Chili Cheddar Fries
- Deluxe Chili Cheddar Fries
Drinks & Treats
- Real Strawberry Lemonade
- Bottled Water
- Shake (Vanilla, Strawberry, Chocolate)
- Frosty Cone
- Carrot or Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
Official Original Del Taco Links
Gear Store: https://originaldeltacobarstow.myshopify.com/
Barstow Del Taco Locations
2871 Lenwood Rd
Barstow, CA 92311
Monday – Sunday 6:00 am-12:00 am
1310 E Mountain View St
Barstow, CA 92311
Monday – Friday 5:00 am-12:00 am
Saturday – Sunday 7:00 am-12:00 am
401 N First Ave
Barstow, CA 92311
Monday – Friday 6:00 am-11:00 am
Saturday – Sunday 7:00 am-11:00 am
|Del Taco Secret Menu||Secret Menus in Orange County|
|11 Secret Copycat Recipes from OC Restaurants||Roadside Attractions on the Way to Las Vegas|
|How to Plan a Family RV Vacation||Calico Ghost Town|
Monique McArthur is a mother of two, writer, and creator of delicious recipes. In her spare time she enjoys exploring all that Orange County has to offer, traveling, shopping, running with her dogs and spending time with family.