The Vans US Open of Surfing is one of the biggest annual events in Orange County, drawing approximately half a million viewers every year. Downtown Huntington Beach has hosted the event since 1959. The surfing competition has transformed into one of the biggest extreme sports festivals in the nation, featuring world-class surfing, skateboarding, and BMX competitions.
US Open Details
Dates: Saturday, July 29, 2023 – Sunday August 6, 2023
Where: Huntington Beach Pier
Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway
Huntington Beach, CA 92648
Events run daily from as early as 7:00 am – 5:00 p.m.
**Will be updated as schedules are announced**
Surfing will take place daily 7:30AM to 4PM
Surf competitions at this year’s event include:
Men’s and Women’s Challenger Series
Surfers compete in the Challenger Series to qualify for the Championship Tour as pat of an eight event series.
The Vans Duct Tape Invitational
Longboard Competition featuring 20 men and 20 women. The second of a three event series in the WSL Longboard World Title. Winners of the Duct Tape Invitational will be awarded 5,000 points.
The Vans Showdown is an invitational street skate contest with unique obstacles with design assistance by Quasi, Alltimers, Palace, and Hockey.
Vans BMX Waffle Cup
The Vans BMX Waffle Cup kicks off opening weekend at the US Open in this inclusive BMX competition.
**The events below may not be available for 2022. Details will be updated as information is available**
Vans Surf Camp
Vans and City Surf Project host this youth surf camp at the US Open on TBA.
- For kids ages 8-16
- Public sessions from 9AM – 11AM
- Check in at Vans Camp Surf Tent near Tower 5 before 9AM
- Must pre-register by 5PM on August 1st
- Caters to all skill levels
- Boards/boogie boards provided
- Some wetsuits will be available, but BYO if you’ve got one
- Post-session Acai Bowls provided by Sambazon
- Vans Surf Camp T-shirt for each participant
Duct Tape Board Demos, Shaping Bat & Glassing Room
The Vans Joel Tudor Duct Tape Festival makes it’s appearance in Huntington Beach with this years US Open.
- The Board Demos and Shaping Bay and Glassing Room host onsite shaping and glassing in partnership with Golden State Glassing and Shred Co. Daily 9AM – 4PM in Van Doren Village.
Public BMX & Skate Sessions
Open Public Sessions: TBA
All ages public sessions are available for skate and BMX. You must register to participate as capacity is limited to 50 people per session.
- Register for a session here
- Helmets required for everyone
- 12 and under will also need elbow and knee pads
- Legal guardian must be present for participants under 18
Van Doren Village
Van Doren Village features activities, booths, the Community Market, and the the Vans Retail Experience.
- Village Open daily 9AM – 4PM
- Steve Van Doren BBQ 12PM – 2PM Every Day! – Steve Van Doren is grilling up free lunch for the community every day.
- Vans Retail Store open daily 9AM – 5PM
Community Market offers booths from vendors and organizations, and a board swap meet. Local brands include Cult Bikes, Seea, Jokers Skateshop, Costa Mesa Ceramics, Pura Vida, Vinyl Solution, and The Inconvenience Store. Organizations will include OC Coast Keeper, Sustainable Coastlines, and more. The Market is open daily from 10AM – 4PM.
- Swap Meet pm Thursday August 4th features surf collectors Dale Smith, Rocky Sabo, and Mikey Whaley
- Stitchbox will be onsite for wetsuit repairs
Surf City Nights
Downtown Huntington Beach’s weekly street fair and farmers market. Check out the fresh produce, products by local artisans, enjoy crafts, games, and other kids activities, food trucks, and more. Event is held on Main Street from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm on Tuesday Night.
Surfers’ Hall of Fame
The event takes place TBA at the corner of PCH and Main Street near Huntington Surf & Sport. Honorees Include:
Free Shuttle Service
It’s not easy to get in and out of Downtown with your own car during the US Open of Surfing. Check out the Huntington Beach free shuttle service instead. Additional service hours may be available during this years event.
Map Of Vans US Open Of Surfing Area:
|City of Huntington Beach||Restaurants With A View In Orange County|
|Bones Love Milk Shredquarters||Farmers Markets in Orange County|
|The Orange County Fair||Summer Concert Series' In Orange County|
Heidi Deal is the author of the Newcomers Handbook to Living In Los Angeles & Orange County, and a children’s book author specializing in history and human rights.