For many, Labor Day weekend is the last hurrah before summer comes to an end. Check out our list of ideas on how to celebrate the last three-day weekend of the summer.
Labor Day weekend starts Friday, September 2, 2022, and ends on Monday, September 5, 2022.
Enjoy a Labor Day BBQ with Friends & Family
What is labor day weekend without a BBQ? Get out the pool toys and fire up the grill for some great eats with close family and friends. Spend some quality time with loved ones over some delicious foods. Break out the lawn and outdoor games for even more fun.
Rent a Beach House
A beach house is the perfect place to spend Labor Day, whether you bring your immediate family, your extended relatives, or a group of friends. The beach is an ideal setting for Labor Day traditions, plus it offers unique beach activities that are fun for everyone.
Take a Road trip
Centrally located in beautiful Southern California, Orange County is the perfect launchpad for an amazing adventure right outside of Orange County. See our complete guide for 90 minutes or less road trips and if you’re heading to Las Vegas check out these roadside attractions.
Visit a Museum, Aquarium & More
Spend a day at one of Southern California’s many art, history, pop-up and specialty museums, science centers, zoos, aquariums, botanic gardens, arboretums, nature centers, preserves, wetlands and historic sites.
Have A Picnic At A Local Park
Orange County parks offer a wide variety of amenities and activities that make having a Labor Day picnic at the park an amazing experience. From playgrounds, railroads, petting zoos, baseball/softball fields, BBQs to paddle boats the only difficult decision is deciding which park to have a picnic at.
Splash Around at a Water Park or Splash Pad
This is a perfect activity for labor day weekend. It’s still hot out, and kids especially love going to a waterpark on a hot summer day. There is Wild Rivers, Knott’s Soak City, Great Wolf Lodge and several others right here in Orange County. If you’re just looking to splash around for a short time come play at the many splash pads throughout Orange county. Check out our guides to water parks and splash pads in Orange County and beyond.
Enjoy A Day At An Amusement Park
Amusement parks are a must-visit with friends and family when it comes to the summer, especially on labor day weekend. There are the over the top parks like Disneyland, California Adventure, Knott’s and Six Flags to smaller amusement parks like Boomer’s. They all offer something fun and unique to enjoy for all ages. Get the Go City all-inclusive pass and visit as many attractions as you wish.
Attend a Fair or Festival
What’s Labor Day without a visit to the Orange International Street Fair on Labor Day weekend? It’s a weekend long event with food from around the world, live music and shopping.
Take in a Concert
There are many live music venues in Orange County hosting musical acts on Labor Day Weekend. There are even more restaurants and bars featuring live music where you can eat, drink and dance the night away.
Use a Hotel or Resort Pass
You don’t have to stay at a hotel to enjoy their amenities. There are many ways to purchase a day pass that allows access to the spas, pool and much more at many Orange County hotels and resorts.
Experience the OC by Water
There are many ways to take to the water including paddle boards, kayaks, jet skis, water skis, yachts, Duffy boats, paddle boats, surfboards, body boards and even hydro bikes and hydrofoil surfboards. Bring your own or rent one from the many shops along the OC beaches or go visit a lake.
Hit the Shops, Malls, Outlets & Thrift Stores
Go on an RV Vacation
If you are an avid traveler who enjoys both road trips and exploring new places, then RVing is arguably the best way to travel and explore on a Labor Day weekend. Read our guide on how to plan an RV vacation.
Enjoy the Outdoors
There is something for everyone outside. The adventurous can mountain bike, climb, parachute, run and hike the great outdoors. The casually active can play lawn or beach games and the more passive types can hit up a farmer’s market, sun bathe, or even star gaze. Labor Day weekend is the perfect opportunity to enjoy the outdoors with friends and family.
Drive down to the border and hop on over to Tijuana, Mexico and Avenida Revolución (hint: park Stateside and walk across). A short drive south is the resort town of Rosarito Beach and you’re only a 2 1/2 hour flight away to beautiful Cabo San Lucas and the Los Cabos area.
Get Away on a Three-Day Vacation
Consider these places for a three day Labor Day vacation away from home:
- Big Bear / Lake Arrowhead (ski, snow play, mountain bike hike, fish, boat, Alpine Slide, ropes course)
- Catalina Island
- Hearst Castle
- Julian (Eagle & High Peaks Mines, Lake Cuyamaca, Cedar Creek Falls)
- Lake Havasu
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles (Hollywood, Santa Monica, Getty Center, Staples Center, La Brea Tar Pits)
- Palm Springs (Aerial Tramway, Living Desert Zoo & Gardens, Air Museum, Golf)
- San Francisco
- Santa Barbara (Beach, Parks, Live Music, Zoo & Aquarium, Channel Islands, Wine Tasting)
- Salton Sea & Salvation Mountain (Banana Museum, Mudpots, Sand Dunes, Oasis)
- San Diego (LEGOLAND, Gaslamp Quarter, San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Beaches)
- Scottsdale, Arizona
- Solvang and Buellton (Wine Country, Cycling, Danish History, Food & Architecture)
- Temecula (Winery Tours, Breweries, Spas, Gaming, Golfing, Hiking, Bicycling)
- Ventura, Camarillo, and Ojai (wine getaway, farm tours, horseback riding, beaches, parks, arts & culture)
Plan a Staycation
Orange County is a great place to live and visit. Here are some great staycation places to visit:
- Blue Lantern Inn – Dana Point
- Doryman’s Inn – Newport Beach
- Great Wolf Lodge – Garden Grove
- Hotel La Casa Del Camino – Laguna
- Hyatt Regency Resort & Spa – Huntington Beach
- JW Marriott – Anaheim
- Lido House Hotel – Newport Beach
- Pelican Hill Resort – Newport Beach
- Marriott Newport Villas – Newport Beach
- Shorebreak Hotel – Huntington Beach
- Waterfront Beach Resort – Huntington Beach
More Things to do on Labor Day
- Decorate your porch for fall
- Backyard movie night
- Go Apple Picking
- Tackle a house project
- Try out a new recipe
- Host a chili cook-off
- Make a Labor Day dessert
- Visit a lake for fishing and water sports
- Go to baseball game
- Camp in the backyard
- Go to the beach
- Go golfing or miniature golfing
- Play tennis or pickleball
- Have a beach bonfire
- Go whale watching
- Visit a family farm
- Have a neighborhood block party
- Go wine tasting or host a wine tasting event
- Start a new hobby or learn a new skill
- Read a new book
- Go horseback riding
- Watch the Disneyland fireworks from a rooftop bar
- Ride, run, or walk the beach boardwalk
- Watch the sunrise and/or sunset
- Unplug for 24 hours (or the weekend)
- Have fun and eat a Balboa Bar at the Fun Zone
- Go to a petting zoo
- Go deep sea or freshwater fishing
- Do something fun and free
- Find a deal at the swap meets
- Try locally produced food and goods at a Farmer’s Market
|Family Attractions in Orange County||Best Beaches In Orange County|
|Live Music Venues in Orange County||10 Staycation Ideas in Orange County|
|Fairs & Festivals in Orange County||The Orange County Fair|