If you’re looking for a romantic getaway in Orange County… well, you’re in luck.
If there’s one thing Orange County has a lot of, it’s options for romantic getaways. From hotels which take advantage of their spots on the gorgeous beachfronts of Laguna, or the cottage rentals of Newport Beach, or even the picturesque campsites available all over the county, there’s a romantic minivacation for every taste and every budget.
Easy Steps to The Best Romantic Getaway
Let’s face it… romance is in the eye of the beholder. Your idea of what’s romantic is as unique as you are… and as unique as your partner is. So when you’re planning your romantic getaway, you already know that you need to take those personal preferences into consideration.
Step One: Know Thyself
If you’re a couple that met rock climbing and you love the outdoors, you might consider a weekend at a boutique hotel surrounded by carefully curated luxury to be more mood-killing than mood-lifting.
At the same time, if you and your partner consider a couple’s massage at a five-star resort and a four-course tasting dinner at the hotel’s award-winning restaurant to be the height of romance… then a romantic beach camping weekend probably isn’t what you’re looking for.
Step Two: Know Your Area
You already have this part covered, because there are plenty of options in Orange County for whatever you might want.
But wait… you’re busy. And you’re trying to research romantic getaways while you’re multitasking five other things, aren’t you?
Don’t worry. We’ve got your back.
We’ve already done the legwork and collected this handy list of some of the most romantic getaways in Orange County… just for you.
Our list covers all the bases: full-blown resort stays with all-inclusive packages to treat yourself like royalty… all the way to creative and personal romantic getaways that are easy on the budget.
Ready to pick your next romantic getaway? Let’s go!
The Luxury Getaways
The Resort at Pelican Hill
We’re starting off our list with a bang! No list of romantic getaways in Orange County would be complete without The Resort at Pelican Hill.
This full-service resort in Newport Beach really puts the luxe in luxury. The two-, three- and four-bedroom Italianate villas are exquisitely furnished, immaculately maintained, and come with the stunning views you’d expect from a 16th-century aristocratic resort in Tuscany (and what’s more romantic than an Italian villa?)
Some of the villa packages come with a butler. You know… if you really want to go all out.
From the moment you drive through the gate at this exclusive enclave, your every need is taken care of. Gracing over 500 acres of gorgeous land, the Resort at Pelican Hill boasts a private clubhouse and the famous Coliseum Pool, as well as an on-site spa and golf course. If you’ve ever wanted to experience Italian luxury living without having to pull out your passport, you want to book your getaway at The Resort at Pelican Hill.
- Rooms and suites are appointed with limestone fireplaces, private terraces (most with ocean views) hand-hewn wood beam ceilings, marble soaking baths, and more.
- 36-hole professional-grade golf course overlooking the ocean. It might be hard to keep your eye on the ball instead of the scenery.
- Six on-site dining choices, ranging from casual to top-of-the-line elegance, all focusing on fresh, seasonal flavors.
- Dedicated concierge staff that will arrange anything you need for your stay as well as valet service. Yes, villas come with butler service.
- The on-site spa has separate men’s and women’s Relaxation Lounges, a salon and boutique, and a thoroughly hedonistic spa menu. The Spa at Pelican Hill also has more than 25 complimentary weekly wellness classes and guided beach walks.
- Limo service to Fashion Island.
- In Newport Beach, within easy distance to everything Orange County has to offer… if you actually want to leave the resort (why would you?)
- The Resort at Pelican Hill is so luxurious that it’s hard to pick a single standout feature but the Coliseum pool with its one million hand-laid glass mosaic tiles is pretty spectacular.
Montage Laguna Beach
The Montage Laguna Beach bills itself as a place where you can find seaside luxury… and it definitely delivers.
This sprawling beachfront sanctuary sits above the Pacific on 30 acres of prime Laguna Beach real estate that affords incredible ocean views from anywhere on the property. Newly updated and redesigned to offer breezy rooms with plenty of natural light that shows off the contemporary California style, exclusive art, and photographs in its luxurious rooms. The Montage has everything you want and need for a vacation or staycation in a prime resort.
- Spa Montage is the resort’s luxurious on-site spa that specializes in de-stressing and pampering you. Melt away your workday tension in the eucalyptus steam rooms, dry redwood saunas, or ocean-air whirlpools. Don’t forget to try the signature California Wildflower Massage, exclusive to Spa Montage.
- Boutique and salon services are available in the spa. Pamper your sweetheart… and yourself.
- The rooms are equipped with eco-friendly luxury linens and robes… who says you can’t be romantic and socially responsible at the same time?
- Live piano music in the Lobby Lounge for you and your loved one to enjoy.
- A gorgeous central mosaic pool overlooking the Pacific Ocean with plenty of chairs and umbrellas for your comfort.
- Three on-site restaurants that take full advantage of Laguna Beach’s access to exquisitely fresh ingredients, as well as in-room and private dining options. Private dining sounds pretty romantic, doesn’t it?
Located in Laguna Beach, the Montage offers easy access to town and a convenient – and luxe – home base to explore local attractions like Disneyland, museums or the art festivals.
There’s a lot to love about the Montage Laguna Beach. However, the three-course gourmet tea on Saturdays and Sundays is one of our favorite things. A close second is the Coastal Chords program, which provides music-loving guests with high-quality Taylor guitars so they can strum while they vacation.
Surf and Sand Resort
The Surf and Sand Resort is a slice of Mediterranean heaven… again, without the need for a passport. This 167-room hotel is built right on the beach for unbelievable views. This jewel of a resort in the artist haven of Laguna Beach boasts restful luxury rooms decorated with original artwork from local artists. No wonder the Surf and Sand was voted into the top 25 Southern California Resorts by Conde Nast Travelers Reader’s Choice Awards!
- Beachside pool with a luxurious redesigned pool deck and cabanas.
- Beach access complete with a beach concierge to provide towels, chairs and umbrellas.
- Two restaurants and a bar. Pacific Perk is your fast stop for casual food or morning coffee, while Splashes is the resort’s signature full-service restaurant and makes culinary magic out of fresh local seafood and other ingredients.
- The Aquaterra Spa is a luxury full-service spa that will put the amp in your pampering.
- Surf and Sand is directly on the beach, within walking distance to the seaside treasure that is Laguna Beach. The free summer trolley makes exploring the town fun and simple.
- The Surf and Sand Resort is pet-friendly, if you can’t bear to leave your best friend behind even for a romantic getaway. Be aware that some restrictions do apply, such as a 25 lb. weight limit. ADA-assistance animals are always welcome.
Blue Lantern Inn, a Four Sisters Inn
It’s hard to beat a Victorian bed and breakfast for romantic charm… the Blue Lantern Inn has it in spades. Lovingly crafted to take advantage of a spectacular location above Dana Point Harbor, the Blue Lantern Inn has been pampering guests ever since it opened in 1990.
Every room has incredible views from the wide windows (although some are a bit better than others. For the ultimate in seaside romance, book one of the Tower rooms). Some rooms have private patios, while some have balconies, but no matter which room you choose for your romantic getaway, the Blue Lantern Inn has an amenities package that’s truly romantic.
Pro-Tip: Room 301 is at the top of the tower and has a stunning view of the glittering harbor below.
- Guests enjoy snuggling on cushy beds with luxuriously smooth linen sheets
- Oversized jetted spa tubs or freestanding tubs en-suite
- Romantic gas fireplaces for those chilly nights
- Complimentary soft robes
- A refrigerator with complimentary sodas and an in-room Keurig
- A writing desk and iPod docking station
- High-definition television (higher tier rooms come with premium channels)
- For those choosing a Tower room as your romantic getaway (great choice!), there are extra amenities: complimentary chocolate truffles and a bottle of sparkling wine.
- All room rates include a delicious full breakfast and afternoon wine and hors d’oeuvres service. Talk about romantic gestures!
- Head to The Sanctuary on the third floor of the Inn for decadent spa treatments. Several of them are available as couples’ massages, and one is available as an in-room treatment if the thought of leaving your beautiful room is too much to bear.
Pro-Tip: You’ll need to call the hotel directly at 800-950-1236, at least 48 hours in advance of your reservation to request a spa treatment. All spa reservations require a credit card to hold them and must be canceled 24 hours in advance of your appointment to avoid being charged.
Just above the harbor, and within an easy stroll of Dana Point’s many charms.
It’s impossible to pick just one, but the included wine and hors d’oeuvres service, as well as the availability of in-room Reflexology treatments, is pretty special.
The Whimsical Getaways
Crystal Cove State Beach
Newport Beach isn’t just home to some of the best shopping in Orange County… it’s also home to some of the best unspoiled beach camping. Crystal Cove beach is three miles of relatively unspoiled, beautifully wild Southern California beach.
Crystal Cove has three campgrounds that provide plenty of sites for you to pitch your tent or park your camper. The main campground features bluff-top sites that offer panoramic ocean views, but they are close quarters to other campers. For more intimate camping you’ll have to opt for the backcountry campgrounds. Be aware that those are definitely off the beaten track: they’re a three mile hike from campground parking… but that’s okay. What romantic getaway doesn’t include long walks?
Crystal Cove is definitely one of Orange County’s best beaches. There’s plenty for you and your loved one to do both on the ground and in the water, so you won’t lack for activity if you like some adventure with your romance.
The coolest idea you’ve never heard of, Shelter Co. allows you to customize a camping weekend – 1-3 days – on the property of your choice. Pick where you want to camp (as long as camping is allowed there, that is), and Shelter Co. will provide everything from elegant furnished tents to full-service catering.
If you need help choosing a site, they can do that, too.
A Camping Butler can be available to help handle bags and supply any camping-related needs… but romantic getaways are all about special times with your special someone, so you may not want to take advantage of butlering services.
Pro-Tip: While the company is headquartered in San Francisco, they deliver nationwide and cover all your glamping needs.
With light and airy rooms, and several tiers of rooms that include a VIP level and newly refurbished oceanfront mini-suites, Hotel Metropole is the perfect romantic getaway… if you want to get away on Catalina Island.
What could be more romantic than travelling across the water to an island paradise? Checking into the European-style boutique hotel of Hotel Metropole, that’s what. Hotel Metropole offers sleek luxury and island simplicity with a variety of rooms to suit every need.
Plush beds generously topped with fluffy pillows and soft linens… gleaming wooden floors, cozy ottomans in neutral beach colors…. The fresh floral arrangements in the rooms… the wide windows and patio doors open to the fresh sea breeze… Hotel Metropole transports you to another world, where it’s just you and your loved one and all the natural beauty you could ask for.
Pro-Tip: All of Hotel Metropole’s rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable, but the Oceanfront Mini Suites are probably the most romantic settings the hotel offers.
Location: Avalon, Catalina Island, right on the harbor.
- Free WiFi
- Complimentary continental breakfast
- Rooftop jacuzzi
- Oceanfront Mini Suites have elegant fireplaces, a king-size bed, complimentary robes, a jacuzzi bathtub in-suite, and panoramic views from a private balcony.
- The VIP Wing has full ocean views, plasma flat screen TV, a jacuzzi bathtub, and a walk-in separate shower. The king-sized beds are dressed in the finest Italian bedlinen. If you’ve a mind to go beachcombing, the beach is literally across the street.
- The Touch of Heaven Day Spa is Hotel Metropole’s answer to any tension you and your partner might have.
Pro-Tip: Hotel Metropole has seasonal discounts and specials running. Be sure to check their webpage to get the best deal. Who says romance and thrift don’t go together?
Honorable Mention Romantic Getaways
While this romantic destination isn’t in Orange County, it’s way too neat not to include in a romantic getaways list. If you’re looking to impress your beloved with something really out of the ordinary, look no further than…
Romantic Rustic Treehouse
Four couples whose idea of romance includes whimsy, nature, and not a lot of people, the Rustic Treehouse is the perfect option for your romantic getaway. This love nest is unique and private… perfect for an intimate weekend for two. Enjoy your cozy accommodations surrounded by nature and fall in love all over again while relaxing and recharging in the great outdoors.
Location: Miracle Valley, CA with views of the San Diego Mountains
- It might be a glamping treehouse, but it’s still a treehouse. Furnishings are very comfortable, but minimal.
- There’s a cozy hammock on the lower terrace that’s perfect for those quiet moments.
If glamping is your thing, and you want something different, you might want to take a look at this authentic tipi glamping opportunity in Topanga Canyon, CA.
Enjoy quality time with your sweetie in comfortable, unique surroundings with authentic aboriginal art and furnishings. If you’ve ever wanted to indulge in a little wine while hot-tubbing under the endless stars of a California night sky, hike gorgeous trails, or liven your day with a couples horseback ride, check out Topanga Tipi.
Pro-Tip: While continental breakfast is provided, be aware that additional catering is an additional fee.
So… Ready to make a Romantic Memory?
Romance isn’t just about chocolate hearts and fresh flower bouquets. It’s about spending time making memories with your loved one. Whether you choose the beautiful minimalism of a beach campsite, or the magic of a treehouse glamp-out, or go full-bore traditional romance with a stay at a four or five star resort, Orange County has plenty of romantic getaways to satisfy you.
|Best Beach Resorts in Orange County||Best Day Spas In Orange County|
|Wine Tasting in Orange County||How To Get a Hotel Day Pass|
|10 Staycation Ideas in Orange County||Wedding Venues in Orange County|
Kelly Smith is a freelance writer living in Southern California with one dog, two cats, two guinea pigs… and the rest of her family. She writes about Orange County, faith, family, special needs and tea, and world-builds science fiction universes on the side. Find her at www.bluerosecopywriting.com.