At the Del Mar Racetrack, known as where the “turf meets the surf,” fans gather each summer and winter for the popular racing seasons. From mid-July to early-September, and November to early-December, visitors experience the magic and nostalgia of this long-standing tradition dating back to 1937 when Bing Crosby welcomed the first guests, and the famous race in 1938 saw Seabiscuit win by a nose, offering a chance to wager on the nation’s top racehorses, trainers, and jockeys while enjoying plenty of fun in the sun.
Del Mar Racing Season Schedule
Summer Racing Season
Friday, July 21 – Sunday, September 10, 2023
Winter Racing Season
Friday, November 10 – Sunday, December 3, 2023
Saturday, September 2, 2023
First post daily 2 PM, 4 PM Fridays
Gates open 2 hours prior to first post
Del Mar Race Tickets
Children 17 & under receive free admission and must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times.
Patrons must be at least 18 years of age to wager.
Active duty and retired military personnel and their dependents admitted to Stretch Run for free every day with appropriate military I.D.
Things to Do at Del Mar Racetrack
- Horse Racing: Watch and place bets on live horse racing, and cheer on your favorite horses as they race down the track.
- Concerts and Events: Del Mar Race Track often hosts concerts, festivals, family fun days, jockey karaoke, and more special events during race days. Check the special event schedule at Del Mar or consider attending a concert at The Sound concert venue, also located on the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
- Food and Drinks: Savor a variety of delicious food and beverages offered at the track’s concessions and dining areas or attend a food, beer or wine festival on race days.
- Watch Morning Workouts: Early risers can enjoy breakfast with the works on Saturdays and Sundays during the summer. Diners will be treated to complimentary coffee and view morning workouts from the open-air table seating and gain insider insights.
- Paddock Area: Watch the racehorses get saddled before a horse race at the Paddock View Patio.
- Opening Day: Opening day is special due to its celebration of tradition, prestigious racing events, emphasis on fashion and style, the famous opening day hats contest, and the vibrant social gathering it brings.
- Betting and Wagering: Experience the excitement of wagering and dream big on long odds.
- Shopping: Explore the racetrack’s souvenir shops and vendor stalls, offering a range of racing-related merchandise and memorabilia.
- Handicapping Seminars: Join handicapping seminars to learn more about horse racing and improve your betting strategies.
How to Get to Del Mar Racetrack
- Car: Del Mar is located just west of the I-5 freeway. Exit Via de la Valle and head west to the Racetrack.
- Ridesharing Services: The rideshare drop off and pickup lot is located on Jimmy Durante Blvd. Please proceed to the lot before requesting a pickup.
- Train or Bus: Amtrak and Coaster trains and the BREEZE bus stop at the nearby Solana Beach station. Del Mar provides complimentary shuttle service to and from the track on race days. Get off at the Solana Beach station and look for the free shuttle.
- Plane: 20 miles north on the I-5 from San Diego International Airport (SAN). 100 miles south of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) via 405 to I5. 66 miles south of John Wayne Airport (SNA) via 55 to 405 to I5. Find more Southern California Airport options.
|San Diego||OC to San Diego: Roadside Attractions|
|Rancho Mission Viejo Riding Park||Southern California Bucket List: Best Things To Do In SoCal|
|Sporting Events In Orange County||Rancho Mission Viejo Rodeo|
Monique McArthur is a mother of two, writer, and creator of delicious recipes. In her spare time she enjoys exploring all that Orange County has to offer, traveling, shopping, running with her dogs and spending time with family.