The Sound at the Del Mar Fairgrounds is a 1,900-capacity state-of-the-art concert venue for San Diego music lovers to see and hear their favorite artists. The venue is located adjacent to the Del Mar Race Track and housed in the mission-styled Surfside Center which was formerly the Del Mar Surfside Race Place for off-track betting.
The 9,500-square-foot space features a blend of seating and standing room on three levels, featuring a large lobby, multiple stylish bars, and diverse food options. With sleek, efficient bars on both levels, cushioned cocktail stools in the tiered terrace areas, ambient lighting with bursts of glowing color, and a modern, intimate ambiance exuding a seaside vibe, the venue creates a nightclub-like experience that remains enjoyable even when the bands aren’t performing. Seamlessly integrating contemporary design with historic architecture, to enhance San Diego‘s vibrant entertainment scene.
Where: Del Mar Fairgrounds
Address: 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd, Del Mar, CA
Box Office Phone Number: 858-509-5176
The box office is only open on the evenings there is a show and will open 90 minutes before doors.
Standing & Seated Capacity: 1,900
Seat Show Capacity: 800
Paid parking for The Sound is located in the Del Mar Fairgrounds and entrance is located through the Main Gate only. The Sound shares the parking lot with the Del Mar Fairgrounds and parking is on a first come first served basis. If another large event is happening in the Del Mar Fairgrounds on the day of the show, such as the Del Mar Races or San Diego County Fair, you may want to alter your arrival time or use alternative transportation such as an Uber or Lyft.
Limited Premium parking is located directly in front of The Sound and is available online (for most shows) via Ticketmaster. You must purchase Premium Parking in advance–it is not available for purchase at the event.
Things to Know
- The Sound offers a variety of food and drink options.
- No outside food or drink of any kind is permitted as well as any glass, cans or aluminum bottles.
- There is no re-entry. Once you have left the front courtyard, even to go to the parking lot, you will not be permitted to come back in.
- Shows usually, but not always, start one hour after door time.
- For general admission standing shows, there is reserved seating available for purchase in the balcony as well as the center terrace and left terrace. The floor in front of the stage is open for standing.
- For a seated show, the floor in front of the stage will have rows of seats that are assigned based on your ticket purchase.
- The venue has five bars, one in the balcony and four on the main floor.
- There are six sets of bathrooms downstairs and four upstairs.
- The sound system is a state-of-the-art VUE Audiotechnik sound system.
|San Diego||OC to San Diego: Roadside Attractions|
|Live Music Venues in Orange County||FivePoint Amphitheatre Guide|
|California Music Festivals||House of Blues Anaheim|
Monique McArthur is a mother of two, writer, and creator of delicious recipes. In her spare time she enjoys exploring all that Orange County has to offer, traveling, shopping, running with her dogs and spending time with family.